The Connecticut Tree Protective Association sponsors a celebration of Arbor Day through two events – a Poster Contest for all fifth grade students across the state and a tree planting in honor of Arbor Day.
About the Poster Contest
We invite fifth grade classes from throughout Connecticut to submit personally created posters based on the theme My Favorite Tree in My town. The CTPA chooses a winner from each of Connecticut’s eight counties. The eight winners are then invited to CTPA’s tree planting ceremony. At the ceremony, each winner is recognized for his or her artwork and helps plant the tree. Tree plantings are at a different location every year.
Arbor Day is Friday, April 26, 2024 and we will be celebrating with a tree planting at Beardsley Zoo!
Enteries must be received by March 8th to qualify. Please mail to PO Box 1946, Wallingford, CT 06492
The Rules of the Poster Contest
- Posters must be original work of a student currently in the fifth grade.
- The use of cartoon characters or television, movie, or sports figures are not acceptable.
- All entries must be submitted by a fifth grade teacher or principal, with a limit of no more than three (3) entries per each fifth grade class.
- The use of business or company names should not be included anywhere on the poster.
- All artwork on the posters must be completed. The artist’s name and the date must be in the lower right-hand corner on the front.
- Posters must be done in one of the following media: marker, colored pencil, crayon, watercolor, ink, acrylic, tempera paint, or paint pen.
- Posters may be any size between and including 81/2 x 11 and 12 x 17 inches. They may not be less than or greater than these dimensions.
- Computer generated art and printing are not acceptable.
- Poster must be reproducible – no collages please (collages include anything glued to the poster).
- Posters must have a completed entry form attached to the back. Please use tape to attach this form.
- Posters must be flat. Folded, matted, mounted, laminated, or framed posters are not acceptable. Posters may be rolled to be mailed.
- The poster must be related to the contest theme in some way.
- The theme is My Favorite Tree in My Town. The theme must be on the poster in some form, although the theme may be altered slightly to make it specific to an individual town, city, village or borough. For example, the use of “My Favorite Tree in Wallingford”, would be acceptable.
- Any and all writing should be spelled correctly and easy to read.
Please mail all entries to the CTPA office at:
60 Church Street – Suite 3A
P.O. Box 1946
Wallingford, CT 06492
Frequently Asked Questions
What is this Year’s Theme?
The theme for this year is My Favorite Tree in My Town. CTPA is encouraging students to look at the trees where they live and create a poster based on whichever tree happens to be their favorite. This could be a tree in their backyard, along a street, on their school grounds, or in a park.
We are also asking that the students incorporate the theme into their poster in some manner. The actual wording may be modified slightly, for example, if the student wishes to incorporate the words, “My Dad’s Sugar Maple – My Favorite Tree in Wallingford,” that would be acceptable, provided the student is from Wallingford and the tree is a sugar maple.
Who Will Do the Judging and How Will the Winners be Chosen?
The posters entered into the contest will be judged by a committee made up of CTPA Board Members. One winner from each of the state’s eight counties, or eight winners overall, will be chosen. The winners will be notified by mail through their teachers.
What Do the Winners Receive?
The winning students will be invited to participate in our Tree Planting Ceremony to take place on Arbor Day, April 28, 2023.
Each winning poster will be proudly displayed on the CTPA web site and at the Tree Planting Ceremony.
Can I see examples?
Where do I go for More Information?
Teachers are encouraged to contact the CTPA Office if they have any questions regarding the details of the Poster Contest. The CTPA Executive Secretary, Cathy Dvorsky, may be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 203-484-2512.